Thursday, February 28, 2008

Done with tournaments

I got my ass handed to me today in tournaments (sick day today). I couldn't get shit to hold up. The only tournament I did decent in was a $11 tourney with 174 entrants. I took 20th. 18 got paid. Blah! I lost in a few token races with huge favorite hands KK < 33 and 99 < 22. So I said fuck it and started playing some cash games.

I was up and down in the cash games, but did manage to grind out a moderate win for the day. I played a bunch of hands. All of the hands were at the $25 NL 6 max tables. On the month, I'm winning at a > 14PTBB/100 pace at those tables. If only I would have just stuck to those games this month and avoided the $50 games and all the tournaments and SnG's, I'd be in a much better place bankroll wise.

As it stands right now, I got a lot of grinding ahead of me to get to the $50 NL tables again before the end of next month. I feel comfortable at the tables and I'm recognizing a lot of my mistakes. Too bad some of them aren't until after the hand has played out, but progress is progress.

I'm making such good decisions right now because I'm not really keeping track of how much I'm winning or losing during a session. I keep Poker Tracker on, but only to import hands for my PAHUD. I'm in good shape bankroll-wise for the $25 NL games, so I don't worry about taking bad beats or a few coolers in a row. I know it's not going to sting that much. This helps my game tremendously.

I've also upped my aggression lately. I was always agressive at the tables, but I've opened my raising range up a little bit more. Also, with the good table and seat selection, I do a lot more isolating than I used to. Also, I try to steal the blinds as much as possible.

I have one more day in February and I'm just writing this month off. Most of my problems during the month were my fault. Some was due to bad play. I also ran into a lot of coolers and beats, but that comes with the game. You can't put your money in as a 100% favorite every time. I feel that March will be my best month yet. Again, I'm ready to take that next step in my game and that will require spending a lot of time on the tables.

0 comments: