Monday, March 24, 2008

Easter Hangover

I don't feel right today. Not mentally, but physically. I had a hard time getting to sleep last night. I tossed and turned for 2 hours before finally drifting off. Once I did sleep, it was a continuous sleep until the alarm sounded (way too early). So I was able to drag my ass out of bed, although I could have slept about 4 more hours I think. I skipped out on breakfast because my stomach didn't feel right. I didn't have any dinner last night because of the larger than normal lunch I had thanks to Easter with the family. Right now, my stomach doesn't feel stable and I'm yawning like a mad man. My eyes are swollen from the lack of sleep. I'm not sure if I'm sick, tired, or just need to take a big dump to make myself feel all better. Hopefully a nice lunchtime nap will help.

Easter was OK I guess. Our family spreads out more and more each year. Some of the cousins are off in foreign countries making $500 Million drug busts, laid up having babies, patrolling the streets of WV for criminals, and other less interesting things. So we didn't have the normal family lineup that I'm used to. It was basically, me, my parents, my aunt/uncle, and a few of my aunt's relatives. I had a reasonably good time too. My uncle is a fairly wealthy man and has and awesome home. I spent some time watching NCAA basketball, pretending I cared. My uncle also has The Getaway, a pinball machine that I played several games on. I couldn't get my name on the high score list, but I was getting close. I also watched some of the cousins and cousins of cousins play some Wii games. These people are gaming fools! They were playing Super Smash Brothers, some old school Street Fighter, REsident Evil, World of Warcraft, and a host of other games.

I also got to hear my cousin's band for the first time. I knew he played bass in a band, but I thought it was really just a bunch of guys sitting around jamming. He let me listen to their stuff yesterday and I was blown away. They are very talented and I think the oldest is 21. It's not the type of music I listen to, but it was good stuff. The production quality of their recordings was top notch. One of the band members started his own recording studio and they used that. I'd like to hear them live though.

The highlight of the day though was finding a hidden gem on DVD. I walked into my cousin's room and noticed a special edition DVD of Snatch. I was talking to him about the movie (my favorite movie of all time by the way) and my cousin gave me a DVD by the name of Layer Cake. I had never even heard of it. It's got the guy that played the new James Bond and is made by the same guy that did Snatch and Lock Stock. I really liked the movie. It was the best movie I've seen in a while. How can movies like this fly under the radar when turds like American Gangster and Michael Clayton get all the attention? Marketing I guess.

I did get to play a few SnG's when I got home and cashed in 4 of 6 with one first place victory. I had played some SnG's earlier before leaving for dinner and cashed in about half of those for a small profit on the day.

Tonight, I'm not sure what I'll be doing. I know I'll have dinner with the parents, but after that it's anybody's guess. I guess it all depends on how I'm feeling. I'd like to jump back in the cash games a bit, but I believe I need a break from poker. Looking back on my March goals, I have to laugh.

20,000 cash game hands? I got about 1/2 that, but have well over 20,000 total hands if you count SnG's and MTTs.

Move up to $50NL and beyond? LOL...I'm lucky to have salvaged enough bankroll to not have to move back down to $10NL.

Work on MTT game and play many of those? I just completely whiffed on this one. I spent most of my time trying to get unstuck and didn't worry about playing many MTTs.

Make poker fun? Umm...yeah right. No way to have fun when you're on the shit end of every cooler hand, lose 75% of your coin flips, whiff 95% of the flops, etc.

I still have a week left in the month to salvage March. I'm sitting close to dead even for the month (still a bit in the red). I'd like to pull a profit out of this month, but I really need a break.

0 comments: