Friday, May 30, 2008

The World Series of who cares.

I find myself less and less enthused about the WSOP every year. In 2003, it was Moneymaker making everything boom in our poker worlds. His classic showdown with Sammy Farha was exciting and fresh to me. In 2004, I had just begun my poker career and was excited to watch every bit of footage. 2004 featured Greg Raymer outlasting a bunch of assholes to take down the title. I was really rooting for ya there Greg. Then 2005 is where it started going downhill. ESPN turned the coverage into 1.) showing nothing but all-in hands or 2.) Showing some pasty white internet geek acting like an ass-clown in front of the camera. 2006 was unbearable especially when Jamie Gold started getting TV time. And lastly 2007 was ... well, I never watched any of the 2007 WSOP because ESPN ruined TV poker for me over the past 2 years. I couldn't told you the winner's name until several months after the TV coverage had already aired.

The 2008 WSOP kicks off today and, even though I'm back at the tables grinding, I really coudln't give a shit. The tournament has lost it's appeal to me. What was once a test for the greatest players in the world is now just a series of events where any jackoff with a computer and a credit card can gain entry and fair well just because of the sheer number of donkies in the tournaments.

The only event of the WSOP that interests me anymore is the $50K HORSE event. The cream usually rises to the top there. I do like the other non-holdem events as well such as the Razz, Stud, and especially the Omaha events. Even then, it's still not enough to arouse my interests. If I see those events on the television as I'm channel surfing, I'll stop. But otherwise, fuck the WSOP.

How can the WSOP bring back that appeal that it once had for me? Well, I got a solution. Keep all the events just as is right now. However, have a single buy-in that gets you access to all events. Let's say $150K is your buyin for all events. Cut the number of events down to no more than 10-15. No satellites. Cash money buyins only! Play each event in succession. Have a points system for each event. Individual event winners get an automatic seat in the main event. The top X players in points + event/bracelet winners get into the main event and duke it out for the top prizes.

There are just so many pros these days and so many events. There are also way too many online satellites gaining these idiots entry into the event. The WSOP has lost its luster and it will never come back without a complete overhaul.

0 comments: