Monday, May 12, 2008

Summertime

Summertime is rapidly approaching and my schedule is rapidly filling up. I don't want this summer to pass me by without enjoying it. The way things are shaping up right now, that's looking like what could happen if I'm not careful. I need to set up some summertime goals. Something to work and look forward to.

- First of all I would like to lose 30 lbs or more by Fall. I need to lose more than that, but I think that's a sensible goal for the amount of time. I've been eating out less, but still I'm eating out and that kills any progress I make. My main reason for eating out is convenience though. When I run out of food in the house, it's more time effective to run to McDonalds than to the grocery store and then cook something when I get back. I think Saturday mornings will be my weekly store trip and if I can keep to that schedule, then I should be able to do OK in the weight loss department.

- Play 20 rounds of golf (at least). I love golf and haven't played much at all the past few years. I've had some physical problems that have prevented me in the past. Mostly it was back pain, but that has since subsided and rarely do I feel "down in my back". I've also struggled with elbow tendonitis this past year, but I don't think that will affect my golf game. And of course, there are my terrible knees. Goal #1 will help with this problem, but I do need at least one knee replaced if not both. Years of supporting my big ass has taken a toll on them. But I can cope right now because I'm only 30 years old, but in 10 years who knows. Since I can cope, I've never let my knees be an excuse for not playing golf and the exercise will be good for me anyway. There used to be a time when I played 20 rounds a month.

- Have the best looking yard in the neighborhood. Right now it's the worst looking yard. But that's just because every day I've been home with time to mow and trim, it has rained. But I'm going to work a lot on the landscaping around the yard and then with the hugeness of the yard, it will look awesome.

- Be tan. I spend so much time inside these days, I feel like a hermit. When I'm at work, I'm couped up at a desk with only a window to see the outside world and all its activities. When I get home, I usually prop up in front of the computer with MLB.tv and watch a ball game. I have an awesome place to entertain friends. I have a grill, a huge patio/deck/porch thingy, plenty of parking, just outside of town limits, and only a handful of houses within noise pollution range of my house. It's an awesome place to hang out. Now that it's all semi-fixed up, I have no problem with my friends coming over and hanging out. I plan on having some cookouts, some chillouts, maybe a bonfire or something. I just need to be outside more. These outdoor activities along with the yard work and the golf should make me a nice crispy brown by July/August.

- Attend many many baseball/softball games. I will be buying Princeton Rays season tix this summer and attending most home games. I love baseball and I didn't get to catch many games last year. My friends also play a fair amount of softball tournaments. Although not as good as baseball, it's fun to watch. I really would love to play, but I'm in no physical condition at this point to do that. I used to play baseball from the time I was 5 until I was 16. I made the all-star team from age 9 through age 16 every year. I was good. Then I became a teenager and gave it all up. I haven't hit a baseball since. Now that I'm old, I see what a mistake that was and really regret that decision. This year, I will just watch, but who knows? Maybe next year I can play again.

I guess overall I just want to do what people are supposed to do during summer...enjoy it.

0 comments: