Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The long journey has been completed



Back in June of 2000, I took this job. It paid way more than I had ever made in my entire life and I was so happy. I celebrated by going out and splurging for the 1st time on a vehicle. I bought a brand new 2000 Model Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. It was black with heated leather seats, sunroof, and Supercharged! This thing would fly. I didn't pay that much for the car, but considering what all I had been driving in the past, it was like rolling in a Bentley. But also with it come my first car loan and a $444 payment.

I loved that car, but when winter time rolled around, it sucked. Foolishly I tired of that and about a year later, I traded the car in for a brand new 2002 Chevy Silverado. The price was a bit more than the car I bought, but the payment was a reasonable $521...not much more than what I was paying before. Cool enough. I drove that truck for a while and it went great in the snow and all, but wasn't exactly what I wanted. I really wanted a crew cab truck so I'd have room for passengers and to carry my crap around. As I passed a car lot one day, I saw the truck I wanted.

Within a day, I had traded my blue 2002 Silverado for my Red 2001 F-150 Supercrew. I loved the truck. It had leather seats, 4 doors, looked pretty stylish and plenty of power. It also came with a brand new loan and a $525 payment. I had found the vehicle I liked and decided to quit trading.

During this time frame, there were some other things I bought and charged. I paid $8000+ for an ATV and all the bells and whistles. Then I traded it for another ATV. I also bought another car to go along with my truck. I bought countless other things that run my loans up (I can't even recall what all I owed on now). Then I started to look at houses. I found a brilliant deal on a house in an upscale neighborhood for a low budget price (Divorcee special). I was approved for yet another loan because I was making all my payments on time, but I took notice of my finances at that same time. When you list your assets vs. your liabilities, I noticed I was WAY in the hole there. I owed nearly $50K and had nothing to show for it. This was around spring of 2004 when I made this realization.

I vowed at that time that I was done making these random purchases and getting myself further and further into debt. Hell, I was still living with my parents and there was no way I could make it on my own at this point. I had a payment for this and a payment for that. If was going to buy a house, I'd have to sit in it all day long and not do anything. Because there would be no money left over after payign the bills and all my loans.

That year, I found Party Poker. Thank goodness I found that awesome site. This would be my source of toys. I needed a new laptop and this would be my brilliant idea for owning one. Why get another loan when I can just play poker and use my winnings? I did so much better than I ever dreamed possible, making enough money for that laptop, but also paying off my car, truck, ATVs and many other toys that I've bought over the years.

All of the sudden, there was a light at the end of the tunnel. I could move out of my parents house and be on my own. I opted to go with the mobile home/trailer route to begin with since I found a good deal in a good trailer park (not infested with pill poppers and pushers). However, when I moved out there were many necessities that I didn't own yet like a good bed. I also needed yet another computer because I gave my parents the old one when I left. Slowly, I felt the debts start to rise up again.

I then bought my house in the summer of last year. The remodeling took a toll on my finances. I exhausted most of my HELOC as well as ran up a credit card in the process. I then would have hard time stretching out a paycheck from period to period, so the bank gave me a "roaming" credit line for those occasions. I almost exhausted that in the process. So I was deeper into debt, but not as bad as before. Plus most of this money was going to an investment and not to toys or vehicles. I was putting this money into my house.

Finally, I got the call today. After being dicked around for several weeks on my refi at the bank, the loan officer called me today and made everything official. Credit Card balance = $0, Roaming line of credit balance = $0, Car/Truck payment $0, Appliances $0. The only debt I owe in this world now is my mortgage payment. I owe $92,000 on a house that just appraised for $128,000. $36,000 in equity and growing is awesome.

I have no bad debts to my name. No annoying $150-$200 payments every week or so. No $500+ vehicle payments. No $100 autodrafts out of my checking account. Nothing but that house payment. Let me tell you what. It feels fucking awesome. This is one goal I set out to accomplish 4 years ago and I followed it through to the end. The house was my 2004 Party Poker. I knew it was a good investment at the beginning when I bought the house. You always hear that money is made in real estate when you buy, not when you sell. That house was living proof of that. I paid 54% of after repair values. With the renovations I put in, I ended up investing 70% of the after repair value. Just like Robert Kiyosaki said I should do!

I am celebrating my financial freedom this weekend with a shopping trip. Not for toys, guitars, computers, vehicles, or whatever. I'm buying some clothes! My wardrobe has suffered over the past 3-4 years. Clothes were one expense that I cut out almost completely. If I didn't get it as a present for birthday or Christmas, I didn't get it. My wardrobe is full of tattered clothes right now and then I have just a few outfits that are suitable for public :) This will change this weekend when I replenish the wardrobe. This is my prize. Well, that and a bottle of Grey Goose. You heard it right folks. This boy might very well be getting drunk...another expense that I have avoided that past 3 years or so.

2 comments:

Fuel55 said...

Where the fawk do you live where houses are only $130K?

Predator314 said...

West Virginia