Monday, May 19, 2008

Kickin it Old School

Limit poker has been my bread and butter over the years. Sure there was this neat ALL IN donkfest going on around the no limit tables, but limit poker always seemed more poetic to me. To give a baseball analogy, limit poker to me is like Grady Sizemore whereas No Limit is like Ryan Howard. Grady is consistent, fast paced, and exciting to watch. Howard on the other hand is slow and only provides that excitement every once in a while when he blasts a 420+ foot HR. The appeal is that any at bat can be that big blast. I'll take Grady over Howard any day.

Back in 2004, I started banging away at the .50/1 games and crushed them from the outset. I had no sense of variance or bankroll management and kept moving up as I got a standard buyin for the next level. Needless to say, many times this didn't work out. Fortunately, I'm still a nit at heart and any decent win, went straight into my checking account, not the next level up.

Then I started learning bankroll managment and abiding by the 300BB rule. I have since adjusted that to the 1000BB rule. It's sad, but I feel so much more comfortable losing 300BBs (and I do often) when I have another 700 to back it up. I can keep my composure and play good poker.

Sure limit poker can be a variance nightmare. I bet you were the same as me back in the Party Poker haydays raping every table for a bunch of money. Then that first big downswing hits. Then you become gunshy? Then it's a downward spiral and your game starts to suffer. All of the sudden, you are are the unluckiest player alive. Or maybe you just suck now? Who knows? All I know is that limit poker can do that to you.

So why play? Easy answer: The Action. Limit poker is loose/fast, and more fun in my opinion. It's about pushing those fine edges and hoping for the best. Also, with all the downswings that can be thrown your way as a limit player, the upswings are just as good. Ever had a -300BB day? What about a +300BB day? I feel when I hit an upswing, I can rape the limit tables for way more than the No Limit tables.

Limit poker is the ultimate grind, yet I still continue to play it because it's fun.

0 comments: