Thursday, January 3, 2008

Never Ever Count Them Out!

It all started in early December. I was so excited driving back home from Charlottesville, VA. I was noticeably nervous. Why was that? WVU was playing a game that, if they won, would take them to the BCS Championship game against Ohio State. All they had to do was beat Pitt at home. Pitt was a big underdog, but on that night, whipped up on WVU like it was their job. They outplayed and outcoached my favorite team on the planet. It was a crushing blow to not only the WVU team but the whole state. Ever hear a bar full of aggressive drunks stay completely silent for a half hour? I did on that night.

Then it got worse after that. Our beloved coach, Rich Rodriguez, in one day turned an entire state against him. He gave up the real blue and gold for the "dream" job of coaching the sub-par Michigan Wolverines. And just like that, the man that an entire state loved, and just a year before had the Governor of the state rally up some money to keep him coaching left the team high and dry for greener pastures. Thank you Mr. Rodriguez for that. You gave us an opportunity to prove our strength. The team could have given up after that. I know the country gave up on WVU and most of the state of West Virginia gave up on them.

In the days following Rich Rodriguez's escape to Michigan, there was a somber mood throughout our state. We were riding high just a few weeks ago. Now everyone was moping around with their heads hanging. We had no coach. We had no national title shot. The season was over as far as everyone was concerned. I tried to keep reminding my friends that Rodriguez hadn't scored a touchdown all year long. What makes him so special? Sure he developed this spread offense, but that's pretty much the extent of it. Teams caught on after 2 years and he refused to mix up the play calling. Coach Rodriguez was overrated in my book. When you look at top College Football coaches in history, his name isn't nowhere near that list.

In the time leading up to the Fiesta Bowl against Oklahoma, WVU was all but counted out. "Why even make the trip to Arizona?" I had one WVU "fan" ask me. Are you kidding me? I then started asking around. My friends all said we didn't stand a chance. Everyone I asked had counted WVU out and had pretty much given up on the season. Nobody was excited for the upcoming bowl game. "It's a BCS Bowl for God's sake!" I exclaimed. We are special for achieving such an honor!

Yesterday, I started feeling those nerves creep up on me again. I went to the bowling alley last night, but didn't bowl (strained forearm muscle). As I spectated, I got noticeably fidgety and couldn't sit still. I had to go dump some money in the slot machines to ease the nerves and take my mind off the game. Why do I love WVU so much and get so worked up for their games? I didn't go to the school. I'm a West Virginian and like it or not WVU is the pride of West Virginia in my eyes. I love West Virginia and I love WVU football. That's why!

Come gametime, I was getting excited on every play. Clapping, yelling, jumping up and down. I was a FAN! I soon realized I couldn't be around all these people and properly watch the game. I needed to be in the comforts of my own home to thoroughly enjoy it. The score was 6-0 when I left. By the time I got home it was 13-3. 10 point leads are nothing in college football and I didn't want to do anything to jinx it. During that game, I was screaming, yelling, dancing, calling all my friends. It was a blast. When Devine ran that last 65 yard TD, I actually stood up from the couch and leaped my coffee table. I'm too fat to be doing that shit! But I did it without even realizing it.

When all was said and done, I felt like I had done 12 rounds with Ali. That's when the emotions took over. I watched Owen Schmitt make his last interview in a WVU uniform. I watched the whole team embrace interim coach (and hopefully new coach) Bill Stewart and carry him onto the field. I watched Pat White give his interview and pretty much hire Bill Stewart on the spot. I cried.

After the roller coaster ride this state has been put through over the past few weeks, the only thing I can add is this:





0 comments: