Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The best damn television show period


Those who know me, know I love television series. Not the "reality" TV crap that's far removed from reality, but the good fictional stuff. Over the years I've found some real gems on the small screen. It all started when I stumbled across 24. I used to think it was the best thing since sliced bread. That show eventually went down hill and I moved on to bigger and better things. Over the years, I've sang praises to 24, The Sopranos, Lost, The Shield, Rescue Me, Freaks and Geeks, Arrested Development, and a few others probably. Arrested Development was the latest champ amongst my TV programs. However, this week, I realized, it was de-throned.

What show is the new champ? The Wire! What an awesome show. I have the first 4 seasons on DVD and have watched all 4 seasons 4 times now. It never gets old either. The Wire is really a genious show too. It takes a common theme (drugs) and then innovates television with the different points of view. You have the point of view from the street dealers, the fiends, the kingpins, the smugglers, the politicians, and the police. There are so many aspects to this show. As I finished up season 4 last night for the 4th time, I was still noticing things I had missed before.

The characters in the show are great too. Of course, you got the loose cannon cop (McNulty), the tight assed bosses (Burrell, Rawls, Daniels, etc), the comedy (Bunk), and many others. You grow to love these characters no matter how good or bad they might be. Chris and Snoop are some of the most cold-hearted fuckers on this planet, yet I can't help but crack up everytime a word comes out of Snoop's mouth. You actually get to a point where you care about the characters and what happens to them. Nothing is more sad than Bodie getting shot down defending his corner. Bodie was a soldier. He slang dope, but all around he was a good guy. This is what you feel for these characters.

I think they sitting for the show is awesome too. I have been to Baltimore several times in my life and that's pretty much how I remember it. Baltimore is a rough city. I think The Wire really nailed it too... From the beautiful harbor to the rat infested vacants.

If you haven't seen The Wire, you are missing out on the greatest television show of all time. At least for now anyway.

0 comments: