Friday, January 25, 2008

Heads up!

I'm a sucker for heads up poker. I love it. You put a bunch of poker players at the same table and it becomes a grind. ABC poker might win, but usually boredom sets in first. At least with me anyway. I'm not really a gambling degenerate either when compared to most poker players. I'm semi-conservative with my bankroll, although I'm not opposed to taking a shot or 2 when the opportunity presents itself. Heads up poker, though, is different for me. No matter what the stakes, it gets my heart pumping. It's hard to describe.

The problem with heads up poker is the rake. At least in my experience anway. I've got about 200 lifetime heads up no limit hands under my belt and maybe 50,000 limit hands. In limit, the rake kills you. In fact, heads up limit poker in my opinion isn't really profitable until you can move up to $5/10 or maybe even $10/20. That's just me though. I'm not sure how much the rake affects heads up no limit though. I did just notice that Full Tilt spreads heads up NL at the $50NL level. I have been playing at Stars today.

I'm thinking about working on these heads up tables though. Not as my main game, but as a break from the monotany of grinding the full ring games. It's fun to be able to 3 bet your KJo out of position and be good a lot of the time :) Now, I'm one swingiest players in poker it seems. Prone to big downswings. I still don't feel 100% comfortable playing $50NL heads up all the time since my bankroll is right on that 20 buyin threshold. Maybe in a few weeks, I'll feel more comfortable at those tables.

Whatever, I do, it's exciting to know that I have a fun game available to me.

0 comments: