Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Movin' Up Day 1


I played my first batch of $50 NL hands last night with positive results. It was one of those nights when you can make a hand, but nobody will pay you off though. I ended up winning a shade over 1 buyin over 650 or so hands. Nothing major, but nothing to write home about.

I was surprised the doubling of stakes didn't affect me more mentally than it did. Of course, I've been here before. I remember back in the day when I'd move up, it would take me a few sessions to get the "feel" for the higher bets. I'm still playing low enough that it doesn't phase me.

I also noticed that I've taken too many days off again this month, so I'm going to be down to the wire trying to make Ironman. Why can't they just change this so that it's based on total points for the month and not total days with x number of points? That's a stupid idea. At least it seemed like the points added up quicker on the $50NL tables. I'm assuming that's because a higher percentage of those hands are raked.

Tonight is my bowling night. However, I do want to get in my hands this evening as well too. The good news is that I really don't have much to watch on TV. I have the latest episode of The Wire to watch, but I can hold off on that.

-----

Also, I started watching season 1 of Dexter last night on Netflix's instant viewing deal. I saw 3 episodes and really liked it. I don't know a whole lot about the show, but I saw advertisements that it is coming to CBS. I wasn't sure if that means new episodes or old episodes. I don't see network television doing that show any justice.

Speaking of Netflix, those douchebags at Microsoft decided they weren't going to support my operating system anymore. I have an older version of Windows XP Media Center. I'm running all the latest updates and such too. So when I go to watch my Netflix show, it says I need a Windows Media Player upgrade. I go to do the upgrade and it said my operating system was incompatible... no work-around, no nothing. I finally started asking Mr. Google for an answer and he helped me out with these instructions:

1) download Media Player 11 exe (wmp11-windowsxp-x86-enu.exe) to a folder
2) Install 7-Zip from http://www.7-zip.org
3) Run 7-Zip and have it extract the files from wmp11-windowsxp-x86-enu.exe into another folder (eg: c:\download\wmp11-windowsxp-x86-enu)
4) Run C:\download\wmp11-windowsxp-x86-enu\wmfdist11.exe
5) Run C:\download\wmp11-windowsxp-x86-enu\wmp11.exe

I will add that you need to reboot after step 4 for it to work properly though. So if you have MCE 2002 and Netflix, you can thank me by sending me some moneys.

0 comments: