Friday, June 27, 2008

Will you be my poker pal?

In an effort to avoid work today, I’ve spent 75% of my workday browsing the 2+2 forums.  Not the BBV, BVD, OOT, NVG, R2D2 forums that suck in the masses, but the actual strategy forums.  And also for the first time, I’ve actually read they psychology forum.

I’ve tried to “stalk” a few of the more successful players and their posts and such.  One common thing I see that most of the successful poker players have are “poker friends”.  These are people that play similar stakes and understand the game.  These are people they can learn from and also teach at the same time.

I’m a horrible guitar player, but it’s something I do for fun.  One thing I’ve learned over the years is that learning to play guitar with a friend is way greater than learning to play on your own.  The entire learning process is much easier and both parties involved usually learn something.

When I sit down at the poker tables, I’m alone.  I have no poker friends.  Sure I have buddies I play home games with and such, but I don’t have any real life friends that understand the game.  They like poker and like donking it up on a weekend while knocking back a few beers, but in now way are they serious about learning the game.  I’m not going to push it on them or anything either. 

I had one buddy I got into the game a couple years ago.  He actually learned about bankroll management and read my Small Stakes Hold ‘Em book.  I got him on course to building a bankroll through bonus whoring.  Then he just pretty much gave up after the bonuses dried up.  He never really expressed any interest in taking it any further and I’m not going to push it on people.

So I’m in search of a poker pal.  Someone I can either stake and teach the basics or preferably someone that is already playing and needs a poker pal themselves.  Just someone to swap bad beat stories with or even better discuss actual tough hands and how the best way to play them.

Will you be my friend?

2 comments:

SirFWALGMan said...

I would be your poker Pal but I think we have a lot of the same problems. heh. We could be Poker Enablers if you want.

Predator314 said...

Yeah...I'll set up an AIM name and add u when I get a chance. Anyone to talk poker with helps me stay motivated.