Monday, June 30, 2008

I won a little bit of money on the poker tables this weekend, but really didn’t get to play as much as I had hoped.

Friday night, we went to the Princeton Devil Rays game to watch some more Tim Beckham.  He hasn’t impressed me yet and I still think they should have drafted Buster Posey.  There were 2 rain delays during the game, so it wasn’t over until 11:30 p.m. or so.  Then I ended up just going by a friend’s house afterwards and hanging out with them.  I didn’t get home until after 2:00 a.m.

I did play some poker on Saturday though.  My mother had to go out of town for a wedding shower.  My Dad was working.  Most of my friends were working.  And the weather was off and on rain.  I decided to grind a bit.  I played some cash games and nothing seemed to go right.  I then decided to run some tournaments.  Again…nothing.

I finally gave up after a little while.  I went to the store to get some groceries and clear my head.  Then when I got back, I decided to fire up some Stars and just play some $4.40x180’s on there.  I failed in the first couple to get anything going, but I kept trying.  Finally, I was able to break through and final table one.  I busted out in 4th though.

While I was playing the tournament though, I decided to fire up a $10 NLHE table.  I didn’t have enough left in my Stars account to cover a $25NL table.   Before I even hit the final table, I had recooped all of my losses from the ring games earlier.  I decided to quit the cash game while I played the final table though.

Overall the day was pretty break-even from the cash side, but from the tournament standpoint, I did fairly well.  I actually have a small Stars bankroll now.  3 figures and such.  The NL games (at least the $10NL) seem to be so much softer than the matching counterparts on Full tilt.  I might start playing more ring games on there.  The rakeback does help, but doesn’t really add all that much to my winrate when you think about it.  Just some quick calculations in my head suggest maybe 1BB/100.  That’s great and all, but if I can add 2 BB/100 just by playing on a softer site, why not go with the softer site?

I think what I’ll do is to play solely on Stars in July.  I dont’ really have a sufficient bankroll for $25NL right now, but I can go ahead and begin the slow process of moving some of my money from Full Tilt over to Stars.  I’d really like to go with a 50/50 split of my bankroll between the 2 sites, but that’s going to be kind of hard.  I have 50% of my bankroll collecting interest right now in an ING account.  So for the short term, the best I can do is a 50/25/25 split between ING/Stars/Full Tilt.

I’m not really dogging Full Tilt’s games though.  I mean we are talking about Micro limits here, not the $300/600 games.  However, there are many times where I’ll have 16 Full Tilt tables pulled up for Datamining and only see 6 TAGS on 90% of the tables.  I’m sure these are just rakeback whores and such.  Some are actually good players, some suck.  I don’t fear any of them, but I would be rather sitting at a table full of fish padding my bankroll.

I’m not banking on Stars games being any better.  I do whoever, KNOW that Stars > Full Tilt or any other site on the Planet.  The software is much nicer, more streamlined.  It’s way less of a resource hog on my PC and I can actually run it along with Pokertracker 3 without having to reboot every hour or so. (By the way, I got my new RAM and Hard drive today).

I also like fact that Stars rewards me for my volume of play, not just how many days in a row I can play.  I’ll never be a Supernova Elite or anything, but I’m sure I can make good use of the VIP program they have. 

0 comments: