Friday, June 27, 2008

Going deep, but fizzing out

She was a real life Jerry Springer episode gyrating on my lap and spilling Grey Goose all over my Ecco shoes.

--Dr. Pauly

First things first.  Go Al!  I love when hippies prosper and do what they love.  It breeds good work.  Look at Pauly or just look at my iTunes playlists.  Hippies make good reading and good listening.  And since these are my blogging/poker brethren, I pull for them to prosper even more.

I think I jinxed myself yesterday with spilling the details of my good fortunes on and off the tables lately.  I had a tough night last night.  I didn’t play all that well though to be honest.  I just couldn’t get into that rhythm I had been in lately.

It seemed like I was stacking chumps left and right last night, but it also seemed like I was getting stacked off a lot myself.  And as all you poker players know, the bad stretches always seem to stick out more in your mind than the good stretches.  So when the smoke cleared and I finally checked my PT3 results, I was expecting all my monthly profits to be gone.  Fortunately, all I had lost was 1 buyin.

I had a lot more poker left in me, but the puppy thought otherwise.  He was on tilt from being ignored for a couple hours and decided to start getting into mischief.  I had to take a break and play with him for a while.

After the play session with the pup, I was ready to play some more.  Before I hopped back into the cash games, I decided to check the tournaments.  I nearly bought into the Stud/8 MSOP event on Full Tilt, but the field was too big and while I thoroughly enjoy Stud/8, I don’t feel like I have an edge over any remotely competent player.  So I opted to buy into a $5.50 NLHE tourney and a $4.40/180 on Stars.

The Stars tournament didn’t go so well.  I had an ill-timed bluff early against an apparent monster to lose the first 3rd of my chips.  From there I nursed a short stack down to about 44th place.

In the Full Tilt tourney, I doubled up early, but then went card dead pretty much until the 2nd break.  I kept alive with some steals, a few small pots, etc.  Then I finally hit a big hand when my KK > TT.  Then again, my KK > TT.  Now I have chips to work with.  As we approached the bubble, I played to win while the rest of my table to played to cash.  This saw my chipstack swell considerably.  Then I got KK again and got it all in against…. you guessed it… TT and won for the 3rd straight time and a huge chip lead.  We cashed, I continued my aggression, and continued to keep my chiplead from like 27 people down to 12.

There was a guy to my left that played a 29/2 game and was really causing me problems during the latter stages and he seemed to out-flop me on every hand.  Then I finally picked up Aces in early position (possibly UTG).  I did the normal raise, 29/2 guy re-popped me all in (he was 3rd in chips I think).  I insta-call and he flips over…. deuces.  Of course, deuce on the flop and I’m crippled.  I win that hand, and there’s nobody with even 1/3 of my chipstack.  But that’s not how it played out.

I did make the final table, but with only about 5BBs left.  I finally pushed with pocket 8’s and got called by Aces.  His aces held up.  IGHN in 9th place.  I only netted a little under a buyin for my efforts.  237 runners, 9th place…seemed like I deserved more.  I really wanted the $300+ first place prize though and my 3rd MTT victory of the year.

MTTs are a good distraction from grinding and a good way to luckbox into a nice score, but they just aren’t for me.  I find it incredibly frustrating to bust chumps for 3 straight hours, take 1 bad beat and maybe get a few bucks for your efforts.

I used to be horrible at MTTs.  My strategy was pretty much the same as a full ring game cash game.  This would work if you were catching cards, but not if you go card dead.  I constantly found myself having to fold my way past the bubble and then hope to catch a couple miracle double ups to go deeper.  These days, I have loosened up a bit, upped the aggression, and have been able to build good sized chipstacks…especially around the bubble.  These guys fold EVERYTHING on the bubble.  Occasionally, you’ll find a decent player and he will either get there before you or be on your left and come over the top.  But I’m playing $3-$5 tourneys here, so those players are few and far between.

I have about $35 left in my Pokerstars account.  I have been donking around the PL Omaha and some $10NL tables with that money in my downtimes at work.  I have also played several $4.40’s with zero results so far.  I think I’m just going to take the rest of that money and run a bunch of $4.40/180’s with it.  That will give me my MTT fix.

---

Tonight, I will probably be around grinding out some hands, but I also plan on going to the ballgame first.  Tim Beckham made his debut for the P-Rays last night.   I listened to the game on the radio, but tonight I’ll be there in person to see the #1 pick in MLB play.  It’s also Jonny Gomes bobble-head night, so…BONUS!

My uncle is having a cookout/party type deal on Sunday at one of the local lakes.  I was excited to go, but then I heard there were going to be upwards of 100 people at this shindig and now I’m not looking forward to it so much.  I’m all for family and shit, but when you bring in 80-90 other people I don’t know, then it’s just not for me.  I’ll probably skip out on that event and play in the MSOP HORSE tournament instead.

0 comments: