Thursday, June 26, 2008

PC Repair

My poor PC has been having a rough time lately.  I built the thing in the summer of 2006, so it’s got a little age on it.  However, it’s still a 3.0 Ghz Pentium D with 2 GB RAM, and hasn’t been bloated down with a bunch of junk, so something is up.

I have done all I can think of software wise, short of re-installing.  However, the random lockups and overall flaky-ness seem to point to more of a hardware issue than a windows issue.  I’m guessing RAM. 

Since RAM is so cheap, I got 4 GB from newegg just now.  I also bought a 500 GB USB hard drive for backup purposes.  I want to be able to back up my poker tracker databases, some documents, photos, etc.  But most of all, I have a TON of televsion shows on my PC that I’ve DVR’d, Bit Torrrented, or whatever over the past couple years.  These things take up a ton of hard drive space and burning them all to DVD is just way too time consuming for me right now. 

I was going to upgrade to Vista, but I’m not sure now.  I really like XP and while I haven’t had any major issues with Vista at work, it’s kind of quirky and treats me like a retard, so I don’t like it.  I’ll probably stick with XP for now.

I’m hoping the new RAM does the trick.  If not, then I’ll be restoring Windows soon.  I’m assuming Mac owners don’t have to deal with these issues.

2 comments:

Ddub's Poker Life said...

Whats up Wes, it's Dwight D. from Facebook and you are correct mac owners never deal with this stuff lol I love my macs for sure, although I work on pc's everyday, I guess you do that as well? I forgot to ask you where you worked when we met on facebook. It could be the RAM, if you need any help after the new ram is installed and it keeps screwing up let me know, I'll try to help 2 heads are always better than 1. How's the poker going? I have a few friends out in Vegas as we speak playing a few events.

Later dude!

Predator314 said...

Hey Dwight... I work in Beaver/Beckley area for a small software development company that I'd rather not mention on this site due to the boss bashing and other such nonsense I write about. We have a software package for Distributors (plumbing, electrical, etc) that handles inventory, order processing, accounting, payroll, etc.

I would have had a Mac long ago if there were a version of Pokertracker for it. I get so tired of dealing with computers in general after dealing with people's random problems all day long. I'm sure you know the feeling.

I've been on somewhat of a heater this month poker-wise. I saw where Rick and Dan were out in Vegas playing.