Tuesday, June 3, 2008

I got some pointers from BadBlood on booking a trip to Vegas. He lives about 4.5 hrs away from me and Charlotte, NC seems to be a little over halfway between the 2 of us (or under if you're coming from the G-Vegas direction). Charlotte also has the best airport in my area. I do have somewhat closer options, but there's still going to be some driving involved, so, I'll just choose the airport with the most options. I'm fairly proficient with Charlotte roads and traffic too. It looks like all the local airports either stop in Charlotte, Cincy, or Philly anyway, so I might as well skip that step. Why drive 1.5 hours to board a flight that will stop at a place you can reach in 2.5 hours of driving the other direction?

The Vegas trip is becoming more of a reality each day. I really want to go. My only problems would be 1.) running solo, 2.) my fear of flying 3.) and lack of planning which equals lack of money. I'm trying to take care of #3 as I'm frantically trying to get everything straightened out from my house refinance and see how much I gained on my equity compared to what I spent on repairs. My fear of flying is more of a fear of control. I'm not too fond of heights, but I've just never flown because, well I've never really gone too many places that made flying a necessity. #1) is my biggest problem. It's not that I'm afraid to go to Vegas by myself. It's just that I want to experience it with a friend or friends. I don't doubt that with the onslaught of bloggers covering the WSOp and just hanging around that I can hook up with somebody. I just wish I had more friends that weren't married, didn't have full time jobs, and more or less don't give a shit and this would be all good.

In some ways, going solo in Vegas might be a good thing. I could do what I want, when I want without having to worry about others. On the other hand, I could get rolled by a hooker and not even know it :) I could play as much poker as I wanted and eat wherever I wanted. I could also get lost and end up with the tweakers at the Redneck Riveria.

Right now all signs point to "What the fuck else am I going to do?" and the Vegas trip seems to be on. Now who wants to stake me in one of the tournies?

0 comments: