Monday, April 21, 2008

No more TV and summary of expenses I've cut

I no longer have cable television. I just found out that I didn't have to be subscribed to cable TV to be able to get cable internet. Super duper! That answers all my problems. Now, the hard part will be living without TV!

I don't think it will be too difficult considering I don't really watch TV that much anyway. The hardest part will be when the college football seasons arrives and then the MLB post season. I'm good for the summer as I have MLB.tv to keep my occupied.

Any shows that I want to watch, I can see through "other means". I might set aside a cable bill fund. I can take the $70/month I'm saving right now and put that towards a new LCD TV. After a year or so, I should be able to get a nice one with all the money I saved.

Expenses I've cut this month:

- Cable TV : $70
- Richdad Subscription: $10
- Netfilx subscription: $9
- Credit Card Payment: $200-250
- HELOC payment: $115
- Payment on appliances: $200
- Line of credit: $200

That's around $800 of expenses that I've cut in a single month. However, my mortgage payment will go up a bit. I expect it to be in the $550 range, but I'm not sure of the exact figure yet. I need to do some insurance shopping now that I'm 30 years old and have been out of my parents house for a few years. Things might be much cheaper these days for me in that department too!

The best thing about all of this is that my brain has been reprogrammed over the past year. Instead of seeing that as $800 in money that I can spend on toys every month, I now see it as $800/month that can get invested and collect interest and ultimately get me out of cubicle hell!

0 comments: