Thursday, December 20, 2007

More Heat Pump troubles

I have been remodeling this house I bought back in June. I have had constant problems with the heat pump. First it was the thermostat. Once that was changed, some circuit board fried on the inside unit. That was fixed. Those 2 things were minute and cheap to fix. Then I started having more problems after that. WHen the weather turned cold, I switched to heat mode, only to realize I had no heat! So that cost me a couple hundred bucks to fix the problem there.

Fast forward to week before last. The weather had took a turn for the warmer. I had turned off the heat pump. It was good enough weather where the house was comfortable without any help. Then one day it got warm. I had to turn on the A/C. I didn't really pay that much attention, but I noticed it never really cooled off in the house. Then when it got cold again, I noticed my heat wasn't work again. What the hell now! I noticed the outside unit wasn't working. That was my problem! I checked the breaker and sure enough it was kicked. Weird. I attempted to reset the break only to hear a buzz, see a spark, and watch the breaker kick again. That scared me so I called for help. My heat pump guy took almost a week to show up, but he confirmed my fears. The compressor on the heat pump was dead. Compressors aren't cheap and aren't easy fixes either. In fact, I can replace the entire heat pump for just a bit more than fixing my old one.

I have decided to go ahead and get a new one. I'll have some equity in the house that I can use. I also don't have to hurry that much because my emergency heat still works. As long as that works, I'm fine through winter. However, when the heat shows back up and I need A/C, that's when things will get hairy. I can't stand a summer without air conditioning. So I'll need to replace the heat pump sometime before spring.

Just another reason to keep grinding it out on those poker tables.

0 comments: