Friday, July 23, 2010

X Whore Size

23859_108875282466893_100000332667644_141804_1220397_n One thing is for sure; Gone are my days of being the “active” fat kid.  I used to play soccer, baseball, ride my bike countless miles, walk all over the place and explore new things.  I was a ball of energy.  That was a LONG TIME AGO!

So I’ve been trying to incorporate some exercise into my healthy eating plan.  Really all I can do is walk right now.  And I’m doing about 100% better than I was 2 weeks ago.  But I’m still in the worst shape of my life.

Yesterday, I decided that instead of walking, I’d mow the lawn for my Mother.  She has a small, relatively flat yard.  I couldn’t get it done.  Maybe half way through, my hip felt like it was out of the joint and my legs were cramping.  I was breathing heavy, but I can handle that.  What I couldn’t handle was the pain in my legs and trying to push the mower any further.  I felt awful as I watched my mother, who is 30 years older than me, finish the job.

Today was somewhat better.  I decided to stick to regular walking.  Now, even though my Mom’s yard is relatively flat, the road leading to and beyond her house is straight uphill.  Now I could have opted for going to the park and walking on flat ground around the circle, but instead I decided to keep testing myself.  I wanted to see how far up the hill I could make it before I gave out. 

I stuck the dog on the leash and away we went.  I was out of breath before I even reached the mailbox (FML).  But I pressed on..past one house, then another house, then another, then BAM, cramp!  At this point, I was completely out of breath and had to take a rest.  I just hoped none of the neighbor folks were watching (unless I dropped dead, then come out and help my fat ass!).  The good news is that it was all downhill from there going back.

It appears that the easy part for me will be getting my breathing back.  I don’t smoke, so I’m sure that makes all the difference in the world.  However, my muscles are just not used to moving.  I think it will take longer to keep them in shape.  The cramps are a little demoralizing because I think I could go further if not for them.  I’m keeping myself well hydrated, drinking anywhere from 3/4 – 1 gallon of water a day.

I have also been keeping a journal of my daily food intake, water intake, exercise, and which meds I’m taking.  I’ll keep this mostly for my own sake, but will also bring it with me to the doctor in case I stumble a bit on the weight loss front and let her make some corrections in my diet.  This ain’t my first rodeo, so I think I have a lot of knowledge about my food intake.

I have a short term goal in mind for 2 weeks from now as far as weight goes.  I’ve also set a long term goal of being able to go out and enjoy myself on a couple fishing trips.  Yes I’m damn near too fat to fish (FML).  My problem is either walking to the fishing destination or maybe climbing in/out of a boat.  Hell, I could even capsize a small boat.  In the Fall, since I’m missing my summer river trip this  year due to health reasons, I’ll be heading down to Coastal Carolina and do some Redfish fishing with my brother (he’s a charter fishing boat captain).  Also this winter, I want to go with my buddy Scott and see about catching some monster catfish.  His quote “We don’t even take pictures of 40 lb’ers anymore..too small”.  I hope he lives up to his word.  The pic above is my Dad on one of the redfishing trips.

1 comments:

SirFWALGMan said...

keep it up and get healthy. do not push it so hard that you get hurt. take it a slow pace. good luck man! I think you can do it.