Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Running good, grinding mediocre

I've been running well the past 2 days. Both days started off with a few hundred hands of break-even play followed by a nice upswing. Day 1 could have been better, but I forced myself to play that extra hour and pretty much got decimated in that hour. Day 2, once I started going up, it stayed that way until I logged off. I'm playing good poker right now and reaping the benefits. I've been playing way more hours lately too, but still not up to what I would call a full work week. I don't see how these guys play 20-24 tables for 10-12 hours a day. I focus so hard on each hand, that my brain is fried after 3-4 hours of straight play and I need a break. I try to avoid auto-pilot at all costs. Thats why if you ever sit in on of my games, you might notice I'm straight up LAGging it up on on table, while playing more weak/tight at another. Different table conditions warrant different styles of play IMO. Also, once I "catch" myself auto-piloting, that's when I turn things off and go eat a snack or something. Or, in my case yesterday, when you start making hero calls with 4 high (don't ask) it's time to shut 'er down.


I have been trying to table select more often, but with playing during the day a lot, the tables aren't really full of what I would call "normal fish". Instead, I've been targeting TAGfish. These are the guys who play a TAG style, but really don't have a very good understanding of how we make money in poker (or at least how I make money in poker). Long story short, they fold too much. Pussies.


----


I haven't watched any of the 2009 WSOP coverage. I need to sit down and catch up with the action one day. But the whole WSOP/ESPN "let's give the d'bags the airtime" mentality pretty much ruined TV poker for me. When does High Stakes Poker start again? Anyway, I'll be rooting for Phil Ivey to take this bitch down. He deserves it more than anyone else at that table. Plus he's pretty bad ass.



0 comments: