Thursday, March 13, 2008

Been a few days

Tonight, it's back to the fun "grind" for me. I finally have a chance to sling some cards. I wish I wasn't strapped for cash right now because I'd definitely be down at the local card club slinging chips tonight. I just got my text message that they were running a $1/2 game tonight. Total donkfest. But, real life has taken all my real money and I'll be using my virtual chips tonight on the virtual felt. Fine with me as any poker is good poker at this point.

I've been doing a lot of studying in my spare time lately (not that I've had a whole lot). I've been reading various forums and going over old hands and just overall kinda have taken a step back and looked at my game over the past couple of years. I feel my game is so much better these days than 4 years ago (when I was actually winning decent money on the tables). However, I'm more humble these days than 4 years ago. I know that there is still a bunch of room for improvement. As I'm still human and make many mistakes on the poker table. Until I make 0 mistakes, I need to keep learning. That's the only way to take my game to the next level.... I gotta keep learning!

Practice makes perfect as well. What good is studying if you don't apply the concepts you learned and burn them into your brain? Otherwise, that concept that might make a 1 BB/100 difference in your winrate might get pushed on to the back burner and eventually just fade away as a distant memory, along with your extra 1 BB/100.

Since I'm way behind on my hands, I'm dedicating March to being a quality over quantity month. A month for learning. I still want to play a bunch more hands before April, but I would rather learn. So I'm going to spend a bit more time studying and when I do play, I'll be playing less tables. I want to focus on concepts I've learned and play a thinking mans game. Then as I learn more, I can add another table or 2.

Right now, I'm trying to build a foundation for my game. One that will allow me to get out of the microstakes and become a full fledged shark at the low to mid limits.

0 comments: