Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Not last night, but soon!

Well, I intended on playing some poker last night, but my head just wasn't in it. I still feel the presence of burnout, so I'm not going to force myself to play. I did pull up some tables last night, but didn't see any good games to really get into, so I ended up spending my evening in front of Season 3 of The Wire. What an awesome television show.

I had to make a trip to Hillsville, VA this morning, but I'm back in the office already. It's nice to get out of the office every once in a while. However, I caught a disturbing image along the way. I was about 10 miles north of my destination on I-77 when I was about to pass a tractor trailer. He suddenly changed lanes just before me and then hit his brakes.

As we slowed down to almost a halt, I could see there was a wreck. It had just happened. There were no cops, no ambulances, or rescue workers of any kind. We were the 3rd and 4th car to come by since the wreck. At first, all I saw was a gold colored car with the back driver's side damanged and parked on the side of the road. However, there was glass and plastic everywhere. Pill bottles and golf balls polluted the entire interstate.

I saw a man running down the side of the road and I followed him with my eyes. I then saw his destination. There was an SUV sitting upside down on the side of the road. The top of the SUV was caved in. As I drove by, trying to avoid the glass, I looked to my right. I could see a hand upside down with car crashed all around. I didn't see any movement. I didn't see any blood or anything like that though. There would be no way to get this guy out of the car without cutting it up. I thought about stopping to help. Then I was tried to think how I could help. I noticed several cars stopping at this point, so I proceeded on.

I kind of feel like an asshole for not stopping. However, the scene from the window of my car disturbed me enough. I can't imagine getting up close and personal with this kind of trauma.

I made it to my destination right on time. I met my customer and took her old server, then headed back to the office. I did notice the wreck as I was coming back. Rescue workers were on the scene. I felt a little better. At least the response was quick. There was maybe 20-30 minutes total by the time I passed the crash to the time I came back by it.

0 comments: